6. Steel Dynamics (STLD) is the fifth-largest producer of carbon steel products.
Net profit for 2010 stood at $141 million on net revenue of $6.3 billion, in comparison to a net loss of $8 million on net revenue of $4 billion for 2009.
During the fourth quarter, the company announced net profit of $8 million on net revenue of $1.5 billion. In comparison, fourth-quarter 2009 net profit stood at $27 million on net revenue of $1.2 billion. A non-cash asset impairment charge of $13 million related to the company's fabrication operations lowered fourth-quarter earnings.Fourth-quarter steel shipments were 1.3 million tonnes, up 13% compared to fourth-quarter 2009. Looking ahead, Keith Busse, Steel Dynamics CEO, said, "With the expected slow but continual improvement in the U.S. economy, we could see increased volumes compared to 2010 for both our steel and metals recycling operations. Our current expectation is that steel consumption should grow in 2011 in the automotive, transportation, energy, industrial and the agricultural and construction equipment sectors." The stock is trading at 11.3 times its estimated 2011 earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV