8. Peabody Energy (BTU) is a coal company with business interests in the U.S. and Australia.
Net revenue for 2010 increased to $6.9 billion from $850 million, driven by higher volumes and pricing from mining operations in both the U.S. and Australia. Sales volume for 2010 totaled 246 million tonnes compared with 243.6 million tonnes in 2009.
Higher contributions from mining operations improved gross profit to $1.8 billion, compared with $1.3 billion in the prior year. Operating profit rose 57% year-over-year to $1.33 billion, resulting in significant cash flow generation of $1.1 billion. Overall, net income rose 76% year-over-year to $805 million.Commenting on the better-than-expected results, Gregory H. Boyce, Peabody Energy CEO, said, "Peabody delivered the second best year in company history, with record safety performance, strong cost containment and margin expansion in every operating region." The stock is trading at 13.0 times its 2011 earnings. Of the 26 analysts covering the stock, 22 rate a buy. The stock appreciated 39% during the last one year and is likely to gain 18% over the next one year, based on consensus estimates.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV