NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Priceline (PCLN), Orbitz Worldwide (OWW), Expedia (EXPE), Travelzoo (TZOO) and MakeMyTrip (MMYT) are online travel stock picks, based on company fundamentals, analysts' ratings and performance metrics.
Statistics from PhoCusWright, a travel industry research firm, show that the travel market expanded by 10%, while online travel spending soared 12% in November 2010, with a 9% increase in hotel occupancy rates and a 3% rise in room rates. Benchmark Capital's forecast expects online travel to grow by 8% to $92 billion year-over-year in 2011.
Analysts at JPMorgan expect U.S. online travel spending to accelerate during 2011, driven largely by a recovery in average daily rates and travel volumes. Overall, U.S. gross bookings are likely to grow by 5% to $269 billion and online leisure/unmanaged business bookings are pegged at 11% to $108 billion. Furthermore, online gross bookings are likely to account for almost 40% of total travel spending in 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV