VANCOUVER, British Columbia, Feb. 23, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The management of biOasis Technologies Inc. (TSX-V:BTI) is pleased to provide this year in review update to highlight the corporate accomplishments made in 2010.
- Significantly higher concentrations of p97 successfully transported across the Blood-Brain Barrier
- Commercial development of Cognitest™ (Alzheimer's disease blood test) underway
- $1,029,287 private placement completed
- Dr. Chris Fibiger (formerly of Amgen and Eli Lilly) and David Howard (formerly of Novopharm International and current Chairman of Angiotech Pharmaceuticals Inc.) added as directors
Potential significant increase in level or concentration of therapeutics transported across BBB2010 saw the completion of two Collaborative research programs with The University of British Columbia. Key findings emerged from both of these programs. The most exciting discovery was that the earlier observation that the amount of p97 that was transported across the Blood-Brain Barrier in an animal model was significantly underestimated. Through the use of improved techniques we have achieved a 2-3x improvement in the portion of an injected dose which is transported into the brain, increasing from 2.5% of the injected dose to as much as 7%. Key experiments demonstrated that by using species-specific forms of p97, it was possible to achieve levels exceeding 10% of the injected dose. This is a very important finding for the Company's Transcend program (the development of proprietary carriers to shuttle therapeutics across the Blood-Brain Barrier), as it indicates that we will be able to transport clinically meaningful concentrations of therapeutics across the Blood-Brain Barrier. This has the potential of enabling the treatment of diseases of the brain that have so far gone untreated. Commercial development of simple blood test for Alzheimer's disease As well in 2010, the Company's Cognitest TM program (a simple blood test for the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease) left the research stage and the Company engaged the services of Fleet Bioprocessing (UK) to develop a commercial version of Cognitest TM. The Company expects significant advancements in this program over the coming few months. Along with the assay being developed by the Company and Fleet, the Company in collaboration with Anderson Forchung Group (Washington DC) completed the SISCAPA version of Cognitest TM. SISCAPA is based on leading edge analytical techniques and is gaining recognition within the pharmaceutical industry as a robust, accurate and sensitive method of analysis. The Company and Anderson Forchung share the observations that some of the benefits offered by this form of test will over the coming years see much greater uptake within clinical laboratories. In summary, 2010 saw the core research completed enabling the Company to enter its commercial development phase in 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV