Lessons From 8 Business-Savvy Celebrities
LOS ANGELES (TheStreet) -- If you want an Oscar, acting, singing or some combination of both may get you one. If you want to be the person who pays Oscar winners' salaries, it requires a bit more business savvy.
Last year, Johnny Depp was the industry's highest-paid actor, with $75 million, while last year's Best Actress winner, Sandra Bullock, took home $56 million. That's nice but, to put those salaries in perspective, George Lucas made almost 10 times Bullock's paycheck last year by doing nothing. William Shatner's dot-com shares alone may have eclipsed Johnny Depp's take.
So how do the high rollers do it? TheStreet took a look at eight of the highest-earning celebrities of the past year and, with Oscar week upon us, laid out a blueprint for Oscar winners wondering what to do once they've taken their statuette, closed out the bar at the afterparties and reached the pinnacle of their profession. The answer's as much about owning your brand as it is about honing your talent:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV