The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage. The opinions expressed are those of the author and do not represent the views of TheStreet or its management.
NEW YORK ( Trefis) -- General Motors (GM) is currently the world's second largest automobile original equipment manufacturer based on vehicle sales volume. GM sells cars, trucks and crossover vehicles, and offers vehicle leases and loans through GM Financial. Its business is diversified across products and geographic markets, with operations and sales in more than 120 countries. In China, GM operates primarily through its three joint ventures. General Motors competes with players like Toyota (TM), Honda (HMC), Ford (F), Daimler, Volkswagen and Hyundai.
We recently launched coverage of the company with a Trefis price estimate of $45 for GM's stock, which is about 25% above the current market price of $36.
GM's Brand Rationalization StrategyGM is now focusing its resources upon four core brands: Cadillac, GMC, Buick and Chevrolet. As a result, GM completed the sale of Saab in February 2010, the sale of Saab Automobile GB (Saab GB) in May 2010 and has ceased production of the Pontiac, Saturn, and HUMMER brands as it continues to wind down the related dealerships.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV