Last month, in a regulatory filing, Apple confirmed that shareholders will vote on a proposal for amending the company's corporate governance guidelines around succession planning. The shareholder proposal, it said, would require the company to "adopt and disclose" a written CEO succession planning policy.
|Apple's succession plan is set to be a key talking point at the company's shareholder meeting.|
Apple explained that the Central Laborers' Pension Fund, which owns more than 11,000 of the company's shares, intends to submit the proposal for a "detailed" plan on Wednesday. This would require Apple to begin non-emergency succession planning at least 3 years before an expected transition, and also maintain an annually reviewed emergency succession plan. The Fund is also calling on the Apple board to identify and develop internal candidates, as well as producing an annual report to shareholders on its plan.
Apple, according to the Fund, should develop criteria for the CEO position that will reflect its business strategy and use a formal assessment process to evaluate candidates.Apple's board, however, will recommend that shareholders vote against the proposal, claiming that it would publicize the tech bellwether's confidential objectives and plans. "Giving competitors access to this information is not in the best interest of the company or its shareholders," it said, adding that it already has an annual review of succession planning for senior management in place. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV