Zoran, Mentor Graphics: Small-Cap Winners
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Shares of Zoran (ZRAN) were soaring 14% to $10.62 Tuesday afternoon after British wireless-chip maker CSR said it will acquire the semiconductor company for $679 million in a stock-swap deal.
The deal represented a 40% premium to the company's closing price on Friday. CSR said it expected the deal to boost profit per share by 10%. Zoran shareholders will receive 1.85 CSR shares for every Zoran share owned.
Zoran's largest shareholder, Ramius has, however, said the deal undervalues the company. Ramius, which holds a 9.3% stake in the company, is calling for the replacement of six members of the board with its own candidates.
"We are suspicious that the announced merger with CSR may be yet another attempt by the current board of Zoran to usurp the will of the shareholders," Ramius said in a press release.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV