The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage. The opinions expressed are those of the author and do not represent the views of TheStreet or its management.
NEW YORK (Insider Monkey) - Bill Miller was on top of the investment world just five years ago. Since then his $3.85 billion Legg Mason Capital Management Value (LMVTX) mutual fund lost nearly 40%, whereas the SPY had a slightly positive return.
Insider Monkey, your source for free insider trading data, doesn't need to run regressions to know Bill Miller damaged his pristine reputation with this disastrous performance.
Despite his poor performance, investors still gave him billions of dollars in hopes he might get his groove back. Bill Miller's top 25 holdings at the end of 2009 returned 16.1% until last Friday. This might seem satisfactory to most investors, but a low cost index fund such as SPY returned 22.6% during the same time period.Bill Miller couldn't beat the market in 2010, but his performance so far in 2011 reminds us of his old glory days.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV