NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The video streaming race is starting to heat up.
The move is aimed directly at Netflix' instant streaming offer and promises a selection of 5,000 movies and TV shows as part of the $79-a-year Amazon Prime subscription.
Amazon didn't provide a listing of its streaming videos, but based on the examples Amazon provided, like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, Amadeus and Chariots of Fire, the selection won't include new or recent movie releases.Netflix's instant streaming service costs $8 a month or $96 a year, and offers about 11,000 dated movies, documentaries and TV shows. Video streaming has been a hot theme for investors who have seen Netflix as a leader in this category. With more devices connecting TVs to the Internet, the demand for video streaming has been poised to grow. Cable companies like Comcast (CMCSA) and Cablevision (CVC) have seen a continued slide in video subscribers as more customers cancel service in favor of alternatives like satellite TV or Net video. The shift in consumer demand has dampened sales of TV set-top boxes supplied by outfits like Cisco (CSCO). Shares of Netflix, which had risen 244% in the past year, fell 4% to $225.67 Tuesday. Amazon shares were down 2% to $182.86 amid a widespread selloff. --Written by Scott Moritz in New York.
>To contact this writer, click here: Scott Moritz, or email: email@example.com. To follow Scott on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/MoritzDispatch. >To send a tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV