NEW YORK, Feb. 22, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Mercer International Inc. (Nasdaq:MERC) (TSX:MRI-U) (the "Company") today announced that it has completed a preliminary feasibility analysis for its Celgar and Stendal mills with respect to enhancing their operations and margins. In addition to other enhancements, the preliminary analysis identified that, for a capital cost of approximately $30 to $40 million per mill, they could have the capacity to produce NBSK pulp, as currently, and dissolving pulp ("DP") when market conditions are favourable. The enhancements would permit the mills to become "swing mills", capable of swinging production from NBSK pulp to DP to opportunistically maximize realizations. DP is a high grade specialty product that commands premium pricing relative to NBSK. It is used for, among other things, rayon, a renewable textile fiber that is a substitute for cotton, and other fossil fuel derived synthetic fibers.
Based on the preliminary feasibility analysis:
- the scale, technical ages and regional wood pricing at the Company's facilities would permit Celgar and Stendal to be first and second quartile cost producers of DP respectively. Due to size and other considerations, it was decided not to undertake a feasibility study for the Rosenthal mill;
- while the Company will always maintain its focus on being a leader in NBSK pulp, the enhancements would result in the Celgar and Stendal mills having an estimated annual DP production capacity of 400,000 and 500,000 tonnes, respectively;
- to maintain our core NBSK business and our commitment to customers, we would only adjust some production to DP to realize enhanced margins. If production were shifted for half the year, the annual production capacities at Celgar and Stendal would be approximately 260,000 and 300,000 tonnes of NBSK and 200,000 and 260,000 tonnes of DP, respectively;
- the project would take about 16 months to implement, with no expected impact to NBSK production with the exception of an approximate 3 week required shutdown for project tie-in at the end. Trial campaigns of DP production could begin in early 2013 if a decision to order equipment was made in the third quarter of 2011;
Initially the Company would most likely implement the project at one mill. As part of a final technical and feasibility study, the Company is implementing a process to select which mill and timing. Factors affecting mill selection will include levels of government support and technical limitations. A potential technical limitation has been identified for Celgar due to the mill's use of a continuous digester, while no technical limitations have been identified at Stendal as it employs super batch digesters.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV