NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Unemployment may be improving, but several banks continue to layoff employees as the result of mergers, dumping underperforming businesses and cutting expenses.
"There have been layoffs in the past three or fourth months as banks reevaluate employees to trim underperformers and recruit other, higher performing individuals," said Capstone Partnership partner Maurice Toueg.
In some cases layoffs have been overshadowed by recruitment in other areas of the bank. Toueg says that smaller banks are more likely to recruit, especially for customer facing positions.
In fact, over 57 percent of hiring managers and recruiters anticipate employee poaching to become more aggressive this year, according to a study conducted by eFinancial Careers. In addition, the environment has become even more competitive as several top banks are recruiting talent from outside Wall Street and turning to industry specialists in technology, accounting, consulting, legal and energy."This aggressive mindset will put more pressure on firms who can't afford to lose the talent they already have in place," said Constance Melrose, managing director of eFinancial Careers. "It's important for firms to assess their key employees and have plans in place to retain, promote or prepare to hire." As banks reassess their operations, merge or restructure, many jobs will be cut. Here are the top ten banks with looming layoffs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV