Non-interest expense rose 13.5% to $30.4 million in 2010, compared with $26.8 million in 2009. The increase was due primarily to $3.5 million impairment in OREO in 2010, compared with $637,000 of OREO impairment in 2009.
Shareholders’ equity totaled $79.8 million, or book value of $13.27 per share, as of December 31, 2010. Return on average assets for 2010 was 0.31%, and return on average equity was 2.49%.
Fourth Quarter Results
United Security reported a net loss attributable to USBI of ($1.2 million), or ($0.20) per diluted share, for the fourth quarter of 2010, compared with a net loss attributable to USBI of ($414,000), or ($0.07) per diluted share, for the fourth quarter of 2009.“United Security’s fourth quarter loss was due primarily to losses on the sale of OREO and write-downs in values of OREO,” stated Mr. Phillips. “Our markets remain under pressure due to the slowdown in real estate sales and declining real estate values. These factors were primary contributors to the higher OREO-related costs for the fourth quarter. We strengthened our allowance for loan losses by almost $2.7 million in the fourth quarter to account for these trends. Our focus remains on reducing the level of OREO and non-performing loans as key measures in restoring our profitability.” Interest income totaled $11.0 million in the fourth quarter of 2010, compared with $11.8 million in the fourth quarter of 2009. The decrease in interest income was due primarily to lower interest earned on loans and securities due to a decline in average loans and securities for the quarter. “Net loans were down 1.6% in the fourth quarter to $396.0 million at year-end 2010,” stated Mr. Phillips. “New loan demand remains weak in most of our markets, and we expect loan demand to remain soft until the economy improves and real estate values stabilize.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV