Three-Year Data From Phase 2 Trial Of Genzyme Gaucher Disease Oral Compound Suggest Sustained Or Further Improvement Across All Endpoints
Genzyme Corporation (NASDAQ: GENZ) today announced three-year follow-up data from patients enrolled in the phase 2 clinical trial for its investigational oral therapy for Gaucher disease type 1 known as eliglustat tartrate. Sustained or further improvements were observed across all endpoints, including bone disease, at the three-year timepoint. The results were presented for the first time this week at the Lysosomal Disease Network WORLD Symposium in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Genzyme previously reported that the eliglustat tartrate phase 2 trial had met its primary endpoint at one year, and that data demonstrated continued improvement through two years. The primary composite endpoint was a clinically meaningful response in at least two of three endpoints: improvements in spleen size, hemoglobin and platelet levels. The study has continued with 19 patients through three years. The extension phase of this trial is still ongoing.
Eliglustat tartrate continued to show robust clinical response through three years:
- Spleen volume decreased from baseline by a mean of 61 percent and liver volume decreased from baseline by 29 percent.
- Hemoglobin level increased from baseline by a mean of 2.6 grams per deciliter.
- Platelet count increased from baseline by a mean of 91 percent.
The study also analyzed the clinical response of patients in the phase 2 trial with respect to achieving therapeutic goals. Due to the heterogeneity of Gaucher disease, therapeutic goals were previously developed by experts involved in the treatment of Gaucher patients to assess their response to enzyme replacement therapy (ERT). Most patients dosed with eliglustat tartrate met established therapeutic goals for hemoglobin, platelets, spleen volume and liver volume, demonstrating progressive and clinically meaningful responses in multiple organ systems. At three years, 100 percent of patients met at least 3 of the 4 therapeutic goals developed for hematologic and organ volume parameters.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV