The clean and alternative energy industries will be the site of a major showdown between political parties this year. Energy was a major focus in Obama's State of the Union speech, in which he laid out a goal to have 80% of the country's electricity come from clean energy by 2035. The PowerShares Wilderhill Clean Energy Portfolio (PBW) will allow conservative investors to tap into a diverse collection of companies from various corners of the clean energy spectrum. Single sector funds, however, may prove attractive for more risk tolerant investors seeking exposure to individual pockets of the alternative energy industry.
Some of the funds that will be influenced as debate rages over the nation's energy future will include the Guggenheim Solar Energy ETF (TAN), First Trust ISE Global Wind Energy Index Fund (FAN) and the Market Vectors Uranium + Nuclear Energy ETF (NLR).
Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV