The India Fund, Inc. (NYSE: IFN; the “Fund”) announced today that the Fund’s semi-annual repurchase offer will commence today and terminate on March 11, 2011. In April 2003, stockholders of the Fund voted to adopt an interval fund structure, pursuant to which the Fund conducts semi-annual repurchase offers for between 5% and 25% of the Fund’s outstanding common stock. Accordingly, the Fund’s Board of Directors (the “Board”) authorized the Fund’s repurchase offer for the semi-annual period of up to 5% of its outstanding common stock, the details of which are as follows:
Purpose of the Repurchase Offer
– The repurchase offer is intended to provide Fund stockholders who wish to have their shares repurchased based on net asset value (“NAV”) with the opportunity to have at least a portion of such shares repurchased.
What to Expect
– The repurchase offer will begin on February 18, 2011 and end on March 11, 2011. Materials will be sent to stockholders of record as of February 11, 2011 in conjunction with the start of the offer on February 18, 2011.
– The repurchase price of the shares will be their NAV per share at the close of regular trading on the New York Stock Exchange (“NYSE”) on March 18, 2011. The shares tendered in the repurchase offer will be subject to a repurchase fee of 2% of NAV for expenses directly related to the repurchase offer.
Number of Shares
– If more than 5% of the Fund’s outstanding common stock is tendered, the Fund will either (1) repurchase all of the additional shares tendered, if the additional shares do not exceed 2% of the Fund’s outstanding common stock, or (2) purchase 5% of the Fund’s outstanding common stock on a pro rata basis.
– The deadline for participating in the repurchase offer is 5:00 p.m. New York City time on March 11, 2011. The NAV of the shares may fluctuate between the deadline and March 18, 2011, the pricing date of the repurchase offer. The payment date for the repurchase offer is on or before March 25, 2011.
The Fund’s common stock has at times traded at a premium to the Fund’s NAV per share.
It may not be in a stockholder’s interest to tender shares in connection with this repurchase offer if the Fund’s common stock is trading at a premium.
The market price of the Fund’s common stock can and does fluctuate.
Accordingly, on March 18, 2011, the pricing date of the repurchase offer, the market price of the Fund’s common stock may be above or below the Fund’s NAV per share.
To obtain the daily NAV or the NYSE closing price of the shares or for questions concerning the repurchase offer or for requests for the Fund’s repurchase offer materials, stockholders should contact Georgeson Inc. (“Georgeson”), the Fund’s Information Agent, toll free at 1-866-297-1264, or, for banks or brokers, at 1-212-440-9800.