The Interim Containment System works at depths of up to 8,000 feet -- the BP spill was at 5,000 feet below the water's surface, and can capture up to 60,000 barrels of oil per day -- the government and BP are still at odds over the exact oil flow estimate from the Macondo well spill, with 60,000 barrels being the upper end of the estimated oil flow range.
The system is available for deployment and has been reviewed by the federal government's Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement, the oil industry group said. It can be deployed within 24 hours and it already being stored on Texas and Louisiana coasts -- permanent sites are still being chosen.
Clay Vaughn, vice president of deepwater projects at ExxonMobil Development Company, said during a conference call with reporters on Thursday that the federal government's energy watchdog was on hand for a test of the new system on Wednesday.
Marty Massey, CEO of the Marine Well Containment Company, said in a statement, "The Marine Well Containment Company has successfully developed a solution for rapid well containment response.... This milestone fulfills a commitment set forth by the four [original] sponsor companies to deliver a rapid containment response capability within the first six months of launching the marine well containment project."-- Written by Eric Rosenbaum from New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Eric Rosenbaum. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Eric Rosenbaum. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV