Strength can not be felt everywhere, however. Buffett's largest holding, Coca-Cola (KO), has been a noticeable lag on the Berkshire Hathaway portfolio, causing it to slightly underperform the broad S&P 500. Shares of KO have dipped over 3% in the opening weeks of 2011.
An ETF such as the iShares S&P 100 Index Fund (IOO) may be a strong option for conservative-minded investors looking for a way to mimic Buffett's increasing taste for large and mega-cap companies.
Looking ahead, although Buffett appeared to have been in a selling mood over the past three months, it is unlikely that his view of the economic recovery has changed. As the markets remain on the healing path and investors take cautious steps back into equities, large, stable firms will likely continue to be a popular destination. A fund such as IOO instantly provides investors with exposure to a wide range of these leaders.Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV