DETROIT (TheStreet) -- The focus today may be on small cars and green cars and saving energy, but the muscle car niche has found new life.
Moreover, the muscle car segment had a dramatic development during 2010, when the Chevrolet Camaro passed Ford's Mustang (above) in sales for the first time since 1986. During 2010, Chevy sold 81,299 Camaros while Ford (F) sold 73,716 Mustangs.
GM (GM) took Camaro off the market in 2002, then brought it back in 2009.
Another classic muscle car, the Dodge Challenger, returned to the market in 2008. It sold 36,791 units in 2010.Karl Brauer, senior analyst for Edmunds.com, said both classic muscle cars seem to have benefitted from their absence. "The average muscle car buyer out there is a passionate guy," Brauer said. "It's an absence makes the heart grow fonder kind of thing. Without the option to buy [a Camaro] for seven years, a lot of people came streaming back into the market." Read on for photos, updates and history on the three best-known, U.S.-made muscle cars.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV