NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Footwear maker Timberland (TBL) was leading small-cap action Thursday with the stock rising 24% to $36.45 after its fourth quarter profit jumped 89% to 82 cents per share, significantly outpacing estimates of 51 cents per share.
Heavily-shorted LED stock Rubicon Technology (RBCN) was among the top gainers in the small-cap space Thursday, after the company surpassed fourth- quarter- profit expectations.
Rubicon reported fourth-quarter earnings of $15.4 million, or 64 cents a share, well ahead of the average estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters for a profit of 50 cents a share in the December period. Short interest positions amounted to 10 million shares of the 22.9 million outstanding shares of the company.
The stock was soaring 17.7% to $24.84 on volumes of over 4.3 million in forenoon trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV