NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Food scarcity concerns are heating up and food inflation is increasing alarmingly worldwide. A booming population, shrinking arable lands, rapid industrialization in emerging economies and changing weather patterns around the world could trigger unprecedented food price hikes. Given this scenario, the following food and beverage stocks could provide attractive returns during 2011.
Besides receiving analysts' highest buy ratings of 82%-100%, these stocks are expected to gain up to 139% over the next 12 months with a mean upside value of around 62%, according to analysts polled by Bloomberg.
Although stocks such as SkyPeople Fruit Juice (SPU), AgFreed Industries (FEED), China Nutrifruit Group (CNGL), Synutra International (SYUT), and G Willi-Ford International (WILC) have 100% buy ratings and impressive upsides, we did not consider them here as only a couple of analysts cover these stocks.These 10 food and beverage stocks are stacked in the ascending order of percentage of buy ratings and, in case of a tie-up, by implied percentage upside.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV