(Gold inflation article updated with earnings results.)
Heavyweights, from Kinross Gold (KGC), Agnico-Eagle (AEM), to Barrick Gold (ABX), AngloGold Ashanti (AU) and Newmont Mining (NEM) have all reported solid results. Despite some production wobbles and inflation worries, the companies turned nice profits as gold prices soared to a 2010 intraday high of $1,432.50 an ounce.
I will be interviewing a dozen CEOs of major gold companies at the BMO Capital Markets Global Metals & Mining Conference next week to see if they expect their flush cash days to continue with inflation on the rise. Here is a quick snapshot of gold miners' earnings and worry spots to watch. Barrick was the clear winner. The company got ahead of the game by declaring its regular quarterly dividend of 12 cents a share on Feb. 16, a day before it reported earnings. Barrick made 95 cents a share in the fourth quarter, up 55% from the same period a year earlier, and blew past estimates of 84 cents a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV