Markets Finish at Multiyear Highs
Michael Yoshikami, president and chief investment strategist at YCMNET Advisors, said the mixed economic news suggested that the market was rising on general momentum more than anything else.
"The market had fallen back a little so this is really just a rally back from a pause," he said, adding, "I think the general trend of the market will be up. There are lots of underlying positives in the market."
James Dailey, senior portfolio manager at Team Asset Strategy Fund, agreed with Yoshikami's comments. "I think it is pure momentum at this point. People are afraid to sell because they might miss the train leaving the station," Dailey said.
926 million shares traded on the New York Stock Exchange, 73% of which advanced while 24% lost ground. On the Nasdaq, 2.2 billion shares changed hands.Oil prices surged following reports that two Iranian warships traveled through the Suez Canal on the way to Syria -- a move that was viewed as a provocation. Roughly 3% of the world's oil supply travels through the Suez Canal, according to a CNBC report. The March crude oil contract rose 67 cents to settle at $84.98 a barrel. Earlier, the Energy Information Administration said crude oil inventories added 860,000 in the week ended Feb. 11, which was lower than the increase of 2.8 million barrels that analysts had been anticipating, according to Platts. In earnings news, Dell (DELL)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV