- Financial results continued to improve with adjusted net income of $10.1 million, or $0.19 per diluted share
- GAAP net income was $9.4 million, or $0.18 per diluted share
- New loan origination volume increased 62% to $235 million in the fourth quarter and $572 million for the year
- Recognized $5.6 million pre-tax gain on the acquisition of asset-based lender and assumed a $225 million credit facility to fund related new lending activity
- Launched new equipment finance business and added a new $75 million credit facility to fund new leasing activity
- Increased book value per share to $10.96
BOSTON, Feb. 16, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- NewStar Financial, Inc. (Nasdaq:NEWS), a specialized commercial finance company, today reported adjusted net income for the fourth quarter of 2010 of $10.1 million, or $0.19 per diluted share. On a GAAP basis, the Company reported net income of $9.4 million, or $0.18 per diluted share, which reflected $0.7 million after-tax non-cash equity compensation expense related to the 2006 IPO.
"Adjusted net income (loss)" and other non-GAAP financial measures used in this release are defined under "Non-GAAP Financial Measures" on page 5. Reconciliations between GAAP and adjusted (non-GAAP) measures can be found in the attached financial tables.
"I am very pleased with our results in the fourth quarter as our operating performance continued to improve and we executed on important strategic initiatives that broadened our capabilities and strengthened our national origination franchise," said Tim Conway, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "The launch of our equipment finance business marked another important milestone for the company as we continue to execute our strategy to add specialized lending platforms in attractive market segments that are consistent with our core strengths and enhance our value proposition for customers. The value of our national direct origination platforms was evident in the gains we made in new loan origination throughout the year and our financial results in the quarter capped off what has been a very successful year for NewStar."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV