For fiscal 2010, CenturyTel earned $947.7 million, or $3.13 per share. In 2009, it earned $647.2 million, or $3.23 per share. During 2010, the number of average shares outstanding grew 51 percent, diluting per-share earnings.
Revenue for the year rose to $7.04 billion from $4.97 billion.
For the current quarter, CenturyLink forecast earnings of 66 to 70 cents per share, not counting one-time charges, on revenue of $1.68 billion to $1.7 billion. Analysts polled by FactSet, on average, expect earnings of 82 cents per share on about $1.7 billion in revenue.
In light of its pending Qwest purchase, CenturyLink would not provide an adjusted earnings forecast for 2011. However, it said it expects one-time charges throughout the year to trim per-share earnings by 49 to 55 cents, not counting any effects from the Qwest acquisition.For the year, it also expects revenue to fall 4 percent to 5 percent, again not counting the effects of the Qwest acquisition. This implies revenue between $6.69 billion and $6.76 billion. Analysts expect fiscal 2011 revenue of $6.67 billion, according to FactSet. Earlier Tuesday, CenturyLink signed a wireless resale deal with Qwest partner Verizon Wireless to start offering that company's equipment and service plans to its residential and small business customers. Also Tuesday, Qwest Communications said it swung to a fourth-quarter loss from year-ago profit, largely due to charges related to its pending takeover by CenturyLink and a decline in traditional phone revenue. CenturyLink shares fell $1.31, or 2.9 percent, to close at $44.83.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV