BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- Billionaire investor George Soros' hedge fund made a big bet on Delta Air Lines (DAL) in the fourth quarter, while keeping gold as its largest holding. Apple (AAPL), maker of the iPad and iPhone, remained a top 10 position.
The fund, which serves wealthy investors, added 11 million shares to its Delta Air stake, bringing it to 14.7 million shares worth about $186 million, Soros Fund Management said in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing.
The fund's assets rose about 15% in the fourth quarter, to $7.7 billion, up from $6.7 billion on Sept. 30.
Despite having called gold a "bubble" investment in the past, Soros' fund added to its horde of the yellow metal in the fourth quarter. Gold is often considered a hedge against inflation and protection against a falling dollar. Commodities such as gold tend to be uncorrelated to the movements of stock and bond markets and so may serve as portfolio-diversification tools.The SPDR Gold Trust (GLD), a gold-backed exchange traded fund, remained the largest fund holding at $655 million in the fourth quarter, up by about 25,000 shares over the course of the three months. This year, its value is off 4% after gaining 29% in 2010, when the S&P 500 Index rose 15%. >>View George Soros' Portfolio The fund's fifth-largest holding is also pure gold, Novagold Resources (NG), a Canadian gold miner, at a $184 million allocation. The number of shares owned was unchanged in the fourth quarter. Novagold is a rollercoaster stock, up 317% in 2009, up 133% in 2010, and down 7% this year. Among the other top 10 holdings of the Soros Fund in order of size are: agricultural products giant Monsanto (MON), U.S. oil and gas exploration firm Plains Exploration and Product (PXP), generic pharmaceuticals maker Teva Pharmaceuticals (TEVA) and health-care claims manager Emdeon (EM). The following are three stocks that Soros added to in the fourth quarter:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV