Company Profile: Battle Creek, Mich.-based Kellogg and its subsidiaries are engaged in the manufacture and marketing of ready-to-eat cereal and convenience foods.
Kellogg forecast that 2011 would be another difficult year in terms of ingredient costs, and expects to experience a 7% increase in grains, sugar and packaging costs.Kellogg recently raised prices to help offset rising ingredient costs. In its recent earnings report the maker of Corn Flakes cereal, Cheez-It crackers and Famous Amos cookies said it plans to raise prices again in 2011 in a range of 3% to 4%. It also hopes to sell a more favorable mix of higher-priced food items, products which boast wider margins. Price increases were already implemented on Kellogg brands such as Eggo waffles, Keebler cookies and Pop-Tarts, as well as many of its cereal brands. Even so, the food processor cautioned this month its margins would remain under pressure as a still-weak economy will lead it to carry some of the higher costs since raising prices could dissuade already-choosy consumers. CEO John Bryant told Reuters that evidence of price increases boosting the company's sales volume remains to be seen.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV