J.M. Smucker (SJM)
Company Profile: Orrville, Ohio-based J.M. Smucker is engaged in the manufacturing and marketing of branded food products on a worldwide basis.
In its fiscal-second quarter earnings report in November, Smucker said "escalating commodity costs will continue to present challenges." Its U.S. retail oils and baking segment saw profit decline 10% in the period as costs rose for milk, sugar, and soybean oil.Green coffee costs were also "significantly higher in the second quarter of 2011," the company said, leading it to raise prices earlier in the year. Smucker raised prices of its Folgers and other well-known brands by around 9%, its largest price hike in years. Investors will look for an update from Smucker when it reports its third-quarter results on Feb. 17. Smucker said in Nov. it expected "to recognize steadily higher green coffee costs during the remainder of the year," and said "higher costs were also realized for milk, sugar, and soybean oil while lower costs were recognized for peanuts and flour." On Feb. 8 Smucker said it raised retail prices for most of its coffee products -- particularly those under the Folgers and Dunkin' Donuts brands -- by about 10%, following the two price increases in 2010, as unroasted bean prices continued to rise.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV