Unemployment Rate Has Become a Bad Joke
By Jeff Cox, CNBC.com Staff Writer
NEW YORK (CNBC) -- The national unemployment rate is becoming an increasingly meaningless statistic when it comes to painting a true picture of economic and job growth.
While the December drop from 9.4 percent to 9.0 percent might have looked nice on paper, digging through the real numbers shows the actual jobs picture hasn't improved at all.
In fact, the situation is at best stagnating, despite headline numbers that make it appear things are getting better.
At the heart of the unemployment rate deception are the nearly three million Americans counted as "marginally attached" to the labor force. Those folks would take a job if offered, but actually aren't actively looking and thus not counted in the government's official statistics. There are a million more of them than there were in January 2008, thanks to the lousy job market that seems to be improving only at the margins.
More from CNBC
The Two Big Questions at a Job Intervew
National Taxpayers Union: "Savings" in President's Budget Are Smoke and Mirrors
Advice for the Web 2.0 Kids
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV