NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Hercules Offshore (HERO) was the biggest gainer among small-caps Monday afternoon after it announced late Friday that it would buy assets owned by Seahawk Drilling for $105 million.
Shares were soaring 17% to $4.23 on volumes of nearly 12 million in early afternoon trading.
Shares of Emcore (EMKR) were climbing 9% to $2.51 on unusually high volumes of over 6 million. There was no headline on Monday on the stock. The stock skyrocketed 29% last week, though amid a rally in optical networking stocks following strong results from JDS Uniphase (JDSU).
PDL Biopharma (PDLI) was a notable winner on Monday after legendary hedge fund manager Seth Klarman's Baupost group disclosed a new position in the company. The fund bought 5.6 million shares in the company, making it among the top ten holdings in the portfolio by market value.Uranium Energy (UEC) saw its stock jump 8% to $6.70. The company said Monday it filed a response to a request for additional information by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality regarding the company's radioactive material license application for the Goliad in-situ recovery project in South Texas. The radioactive material license is the last state-level authorization needed for the company's Goliad ISR project. Meanwhile shares of uranium miner Denison Mines (DNN) continued to climb, rising another 6.5% to $4.41. The stock is up 20% year to date. Shares of solar companies JA Solar (JASO) and LDK Solar (LDK) were rising 4.8% to $8.10 and 4.3% to $13.46 in Monday trading. -- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV