A.M. Best Co. has affirmed the financial strength rating of A (Excellent) and issuer credit ratings (ICR) of “a+” of National Interstate Group and its members. Concurrently, A.M. Best has affirmed the ICR of “bbb+” of the group’s publicly traded parent, National Interstate Corporation (National Interstate) (both domiciled in Richfield, OH) [NASDAQ: NATL]. The outlook for all ratings is stable. (See below for a detailed list of the companies.)
These rating actions reflect the group’s very strong operating results, excellent risk-adjusted capitalization, its leadership position in its core niche passenger transportation market and diverse product structure. The ratings also reflect the additional financial flexibility provided by National Interstate, which maintains modest financial leverage and very strong interest coverage ratios.
These positive rating attributes are somewhat offset by the group’s business concentration in the passenger and truck transportation industries and the inherent risk in new business, particularly growth in the group’s alternative risk transfer programs, which now comprise approximately 56% of its gross written premiums, as well as the risks associated with the group’s 2010 acquisition of Vanliner Group, Inc.
The outlook recognizes A.M. Best’s expectation that the group’s diverse product structure and specialty focus will continue to generate positive earnings while maintaining solid risk-adjusted capital over the near term, despite increasing competitive pressures, challenging macro economic conditions and the integration risks associated with the Vanliner Group, Inc. acquisition.The FSR of A (Excellent) and ICRs of “a+” have been affirmed for National Interstate Group and its following members:
- National Interstate Insurance Company
- National Interstate Insurance Company of Hawaii, Inc
- Triumphe Casualty Company
- Vanliner Insurance Company
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV