NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Credit Suisse (CS) announced Monday that it issued $6.17 billion (CHF 6 billion) in contingent capital, or "coco" bonds, to bolster the bank's balance sheet and satisfy regulators' capital requirements.
Credit Suisse said that it sold $3.5 billion and CHF 2.5 billion in "Tier 1 buffer capital notes" to Qatar Holding and The Olayan Group, a Saudi investment vehicle. The notes have a coupon of USD 9.5% and CHF 9% each, a bank statement said, and are in exchange for $3.5 billion of and CHF 2.5 billion of Tier 1 capital notes issued in 2008.
"The completion of a transaction of this size supports our conviction that contingent capital can be a material source of capital for the banking industry and, in addition, that this will be an attractive instrument for the large group of current investors who hold existing hybrid capital instruments," said Credit Suisse CEO Brady W. Dougan in a statement.
Coco bonds are hybrid securities that convert into equity when, and if, a bank hits trouble and requires a capital boost. They have been pushed by international regulators as a way for banks to
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV