(Starbucks-Green Mountain partnership report updated with news of Starbucks agreement with Courtesy Products.)
SEATTLE (TheStreet) -- Starbucks (SBUX) may soon be partnering with Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR) as it looks to enter the single-cup coffee market now that its 12-year arrangement with Kraft Foods (KFT) is coming to an end.
Starbucks told news outlets over the weekend it plans to announce a new product for the single-serve coffee market "in the near future." On Monday, unnamed sources close to the talks spoke with Reuters, telling the newswire that Starbucks and Green Mountain were indeed in partnership negotiations, but would not specify the nature of an agreement.
Amid all the speculation, Green Mountain shares surged 6.6% on Monday, but were 4% lower in at midday Tuesday, trading around $44.51. Starbucks shares, meanwhile, closed higher by 0.7% on Monday and were half a point lower on Tuesday at $33.39.Starbucks on Tuesday announced it reached a distribution agreement with Courtesy Products, a privately held provider of in-room coffee service to hotels across the U.S. The Seattle-based coffee shop behemoth already sells individual instant coffee packets under its Via brand, but speculation among analysts has mounted that Starbucks is poised to push more aggressively into the single-cup brewing market now dominated by Green Mountain's Keurig machines and K-Cup portion packs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV