PALO ALTO, Calif. (TheStreet) -- Verizon (VZ) and Apple (AAPL) were not the only companies making waves in the mobile device market last week. HP (HPQ) showed off a slew of new devices at a launch event in San Francisco, upping the ante in its battle with heavily entrenched rivals such as Motorola (MMI) and Apple.
HP's event marked the eagerly-awaited debut of its TouchPad tablet, which runs WebOS software from the company's $1.2 billion Palm acquisition. The tech giant also unveiled two WebOS smartphones,, the Pre3 and the Veer.
The stakes for the new WebOS products are extremely high. The tablet market continues to be dominated by Apple's iPad, while HP's pre-Palm attempts to tap the smartphone market barely registered a ripple.
"It's easy to be skeptical as HP enters the tablet market with its own operating system (Palm) and a relatively limited developer community," wrote Jayson Noland, an analyst at Robert W. Baird, in a recent note. "That said, we walked out of HP's webOS launch event incrementally positive on its ability to draw developers, build an ecosystem, and ultimately generate user demand."Read on for more details on HP's new tablet and smartphone offerings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV