NEW YORK, Feb. 14, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Rand Logistics, Inc. (Nasdaq:RLOG) ("Rand") today announced financial and operational results for the third quarter of fiscal 2011 ended December 31, 2010.
Quarter Ended December 31, 2010 Financial Highlights Versus Quarter Ended December 31, 2009
- Marine freight revenue (excluding fuel and other surcharges, and outside charter revenue) was $27.3 million, a decrease of 4.4% from $28.6 million. The decrease in marine freight revenue was primarily attributable to 15 less sailing days and both less favorable weather conditions and commodity mix. The decrease was partially offset by a stronger Canadian dollar.
- Marine freight revenue per sailing day decreased by $823, or 3.1%, to $26,030 from $26,853. This decrease was attributable to inefficiencies in our trade patterns that resulted from the mechanical incidents in the prior quarter.
- Vessel operating expenses per sailing day increased by $476, or 2.2%, to $22,275 from $21,799. This increase was primarily attributable to higher fuel costs and a stronger Canadian dollar.
- Operating income plus depreciation and amortization decreased by $470,000 to $7.9 million from $8.4 million.
Nine Months Ended December 31, 2010 Financial Highlights Versus Nine Months Ended December 31, 2009
- Marine freight revenue (excluding fuel and other surcharges, and outside charter revenue) was $86.0 million, an increase of 6.4% from $80.9 million. The increase in marine freight revenue was primarily attributable to 177 more sailing days in the nine month period this year versus last year, price increases and a stronger Canadian dollar, partially offset by inefficiencies in trade patterns resulting from the major mechanical incidents experienced in the first half of the year.
- Marine freight revenue per sailing day increased by $113 or 0.4%, to $27,281 from $27,168, as a result of a stronger Canadian dollar. This increase was partially offset by inefficiencies in trade patterns due to mechanical incidents that occurred in the first half of the year.
- Vessel operating expenses per sailing day increased by $2,788, or 13.7%, to $23,181 from $20,393. The increase was primarily attributable to repair costs below the insurance deductible and associated inefficiencies due to the mechanical incidents on five of our vessels, a one-time insurance assessment, an increase in fuel expense and a stronger Canadian dollar.
- Operating income plus depreciation and amortization (excluding a GE Amendment Fee of $446,000 in fiscal 2010) decreased $2.6 million to $24.9 million from $27.5 million. The reduction in operating income resulting from the previously disclosed operational incidents totaled $4.9 million, including $1.1 million repair costs below insurance deductibles, $2.5 million of lost margin resulting from 113 days of downtime and a one-time insurance assessment of $1.3 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV