The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage. The opinions expressed are those of the author and do not represent the views of TheStreet or its management.
NEW YORK (ETF Expert) -- Did you think it was over? Did you believe that the bailouts of Greece and Ireland had effectively put an end to the PIIGS challenge?
On a monthly momentum basis, Europe had been on a roll. And many market strategists had suggested that a fundamental shift from the macroeconomic eurozone picture to the microeconomic attractiveness of European corporations would keep European ETFs on a hot streak.
Well ... not so fast. We may have seen Greece and Ireland tap the bailout funds. However, Portugal, Italy and Spain are still having a tough time finding buyers for their government-issued bonds.
Portugal Debt Fears Smack European ETFs
- Market Vectors Poland (PLND) is down about 2.3% over five days and up 3.8% over the past month.
- iShares MSCI Spain (EWP) is down about 2.1% over five days and up 19.5% over the past month.
- iShares MSCI Belgium (EWK) is down about 2.0% over five days and up 6.9% over the past month.
- iShares MSCI Italy (EWI) is down about 0.4% over five days and up 15.0% over the past month.
- iShares MSCI France (EWQ) is down about 0.6% over five days and up 10.6% over the past month.
- By comparison, the S&P 500 Trust (SPY) is up about 1.1% over five days and up 3.7% over the past month.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV