The Groupon blog wrote Thursday that the addition of Schultz was "invaluable" to the Internet company.
"His experience in building the culture and business of Starbucks and his relentless focus on innovation to improve customer experiences brings a unique combination of skills to our Board of Directors," the daily deals site said.Following Groupon's most recent round of financing, which raised around $950 million, former board members John Walter, Harry Weller, and Jason Fried stepped down but "will remain close to the company." Fried will stay on as a member of Groupon's advisory board "to help us simplify and refine our features," Groupon said. Groupon's latest round of financing values the company at more than $4.75 billion. Last month, Groupon turned down a reported $6 billion acquisition offer from Google (GOOG). The company, based in Chicago, will use the funding round to expand globally, invest in technology and provide liquidity for founders and early investors. Investors include Andreessen Horowitz, Battery Ventures, Greylock Partners, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Mail.ru Group, Maverick Capital, Silver Lake and Technology Crossover Ventures. Launched in late 2008, Groupon offers discounts to its 50 million subscribers for local restaurants, spas and other consumer services. The company operates in more than 500 markets in 35 countries around the world. -- Written by Miriam Marcus Reimer in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Miriam Reimer. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/miriamsmarket. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
>>See our new stock quote page. Get more stock ideas and investing advice on our sister site, Stockpickr.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV