Fannie, Freddie Report: Live Blog
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The Obama Administration will release a belated report to Congress today on reforming the country's housing finance system and dealing with legacy issues pertaining to Fannie Mae (FNMA.OB) and Freddie Mac (FMCC.OB).
The report is expected to outline three possible solutions for revising the way Americans get access to funding for homeownership.
One would wind down Fannie and Freddie and have the government exit the funding market completely. Another would turn the government into a "guarantor of last resort," stepping in only during times of crisis. The last would allow the government to continue backstopping mortgages but to a lesser extent, using pricing mechanisms to encourage the private market to gradually step in.Please feel free to join TheStreet's discussion by clicking on the blog above. -- Blog written by Lauren Tara LaCapra in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV