Gold for April delivery was lost $2.10 to $1,360.40 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price has traded in a tight range Friday with a high of $1,369.70 and a low of $1,354.30. The spot gold price was losing more than $7, according to Kitco's gold index. P/>
The U.S. dollar index was adding 0.21% to $78.41 while the euro was losing 0.41% to $1.35 vs. the dollar. The stronger dollar was neutral for gold, not causing a big selloff but not allowing it to rally either.
Silver prices settled down 9 cents to $29.99. Prior to today, silver has managed to close above $30 for the past three consecutive trading days.
"I am bullish," says Dange, who was long silver this morning and will stay long unless the price slips below $29.63. Dange has said that a move above $30 would push prices to $35 an ounce. "The next leg for these commodities should be up barring any substantial economic or political news in the coming weeks," Dange said. Higher gold prices have to contend with a triple-top in which the metal tried three times to break above its intraday high of $1,432 an ounce, which for many technical traders is a cautious sign. It's not that gold can't go higher, but that there are more headwinds aside from fundamentals. "Gold certainly needs some more work ahead before it can make new highs," argues David Morgan, founder of Silver-Investor.com, "Silver is tougher to analyze."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV