Fourth Quarter Results:
Bank net income for the fourth quarter of 2010 was $13.3 million compared to $14.9 million, excluding the PMRS charges, for the same quarter last year and $15.3 million in the third quarter of 2010.
The $1.6 million decrease in net income for the fourth quarter of 2010 compared to the fourth quarter of 2009 (excluding the 2009 PMRS charges) was primarily attributable to (on an after-tax basis):
- $2 million higher provision for loan losses;
- $2 million reduction in net interest income primarily due to lower yields and lower earning asset balances as a consequence of the sales of low yield, fixed-rate mortgage originations; and
- $2 million reduction in noninterest income due to lower fees as a result of regulatory changes related to overdraft fees.
These factors were partially offset by $4 million reduction in noninterest expense derived from the substantial completion of the PIP in the second quarter of 2010.The $2.0 million decrease in fourth quarter 2010 net income compared to the third quarter of 2010 was primarily due to (on an after-tax basis): $2 million higher provision for loan losses and $1 million lower net interest income, which was offset by $1 million lower noninterest expense. Net interest margin was 4.21% in the fourth quarter of 2010, down from 4.27% in the fourth quarter of 2009, as the decline in mortgage asset balances was offset by higher balances of lower yielding short-term investment securities. The decline in net interest margin in the fourth quarter 2010 compared to the third quarter 2010 net interest margin of 4.31% was primarily attributable to higher third quarter recognition of deferred loan fees related to a significant increase in mortgage prepayments. Provision for loan losses (pretax) was $8.6 million in the fourth quarter of 2010 compared with $5.0 million in the fourth quarter of 2009 and $6.0 million in the third quarter of 2010. The increase in the provision in the fourth quarter was primarily due to:
- $1.2 million charge-off of one commercial loan; and
- Approximately $1.4 million for a one-time adjustment to enhance our reserve methodology for our declining portfolio of residential lot loans.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV