BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Health care is the stock market's cheapest sector, based on earnings projections. The average S&P 500 health-care stock sells for a forward price-to-earnings ratio of less than 12. Here's a look at seven undervalued health-care stocks selling at even bigger discounts. A rotation from risk into quality will benefit these investments in 2011 and beyond. Researcher JPMorgan recommends overweighting each of these equities.
Below, the stocks are ordered by forward P/E.
7. Amgen (AMGN) is a seasoned biotechnology company, with a market value of $51 billion.
Since 2008, it has grown net income and earnings per share 13% and 20%, annually, on average. Amgen's adjusted fourth-quarter earnings inched up 1% to $1.17, beating analysts' consensus estimate by 5.9%. Its sales rose 1%, as well, past $3.8 billion, matching the consensus forecast. Amgen is exceptionally cheap, trading at a trailing P/E of 11, a forward P/E of 9.7 and a book value multiple of 2.1, 40%, 54% and 67% discounts to biotechnology industry averages.JPMorgan, ranking the stock "overweight", was impressed by management's 2011 guidance and expects it to be in a beat-and-raise environment in 2011 as there are notably low expectations for the company's legacy products and solid growth prospects for the company's denosumab antibody franchise. Amgen recently announced plans to purchase OncoVex, which has a drug for head and neck melanoma in stage three of FDA approval. JPMorgan's $65 target suggests 19% upside. Currently, 70% of analysts rate Amgen "buy." Bullish Scenario: Piper Jaffray rates Amgen "overweight", expecting an advance to $73. Bearish Scenario: Goldman Sachs ranks Amgen "sell", forecasting a fall of 8% to $50.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV