BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Health care is the stock market's cheapest sector, based on earnings projections. The average S&P 500 health-care stock sells for a forward price-to-earnings ratio of less than 12. Here's a look at seven undervalued health-care stocks selling at even bigger discounts. A rotation from risk into quality will benefit these investments in 2011 and beyond. Researcher JPMorgan recommends overweighting each of these equities.
Below, the stocks are ordered by forward P/E.
7. Amgen (AMGN) is a seasoned biotechnology company, with a market value of $51 billion.
Since 2008, it has grown net income and earnings per share 13% and 20%, annually, on average. Amgen's adjusted fourth-quarter earnings inched up 1% to $1.17, beating analysts' consensus estimate by 5.9%. Its sales rose 1%, as well, past $3.8 billion, matching the consensus forecast. Amgen is exceptionally cheap, trading at a trailing P/E of 11, a forward P/E of 9.7 and a book value multiple of 2.1, 40%, 54% and 67% discounts to biotechnology industry averages.JPMorgan, ranking the stock "overweight", was impressed by management's 2011 guidance and expects it to be in a beat-and-raise environment in 2011 as there are notably low expectations for the company's legacy products and solid growth prospects for the company's denosumab antibody franchise. Amgen recently announced plans to purchase OncoVex, which has a drug for head and neck melanoma in stage three of FDA approval. JPMorgan's $65 target suggests 19% upside. Currently, 70% of analysts rate Amgen "buy." Bullish Scenario: Piper Jaffray rates Amgen "overweight", expecting an advance to $73. Bearish Scenario: Goldman Sachs ranks Amgen "sell", forecasting a fall of 8% to $50.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV