"We think think sugar prices, which are already high, could trend a little bit higher," CPM's Christian said.
Supply concerns have stemmed from the flooding in Australia, which have damaged the sugar crops there. Production is also falling in India, a very large producer and also the largest consumer of the crop.
Indian production is currently projected to be at about 24.5 million metric tons this year, which would be down from earlier estimates of around 26 million metric tons, said Christian.Demand for sugar remains strong, globally, with Egypt also being one of the big sugar consumers. CPM Group predicts that sugar will head back toward 36 cents a pound over the next week or so. "The sugar market appears as if a new leg to the upside is about to begin," PFGBEST's Rosenberg said in a report. Not only has the crop been damaged by the flooding in Australia, equipment will needed for sugar cultivation has also been damaged, the analyst noted. Rosenberg said losses to growers are estimated to be at A$500 million, or $499.9 million -- from a conservative view. Rosenberg added that strong energy prices have diverted sugar from food use to ethanol refining recently.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV