Genta Initiates Trial With Tesetaxel As First- And Second-Line Chemotherapy For Patients With Advanced Prostate Cancer
BERKELEY HEIGHTS, N.J., Feb. 10, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Genta Incorporated (OTCBB:GNTA) today announced that the Company has initiated a new Phase 2 clinical trial of tesetaxel in patients with advanced prostate cancer. Tesetaxel, the leading oral taxane in clinical development, will be evaluated for its use as both first- and second-line chemotherapy.
The new trial will be conducted through the Prostate Cancer Clinical Trials Consortium (PCCTC), which is comprised of 13 leading academic centers focused on prostate cancer research. Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center will act as the coordinating institution on behalf of the consortium and is the first site to open for enrollment.
In this study, two discrete populations will be evaluated: men who are hormone/castrate-resistant who have not previously received chemotherapy; and men who have developed progressive disease after having received at least 3 cycles of docetaxel chemotherapy.A two-stage design will be employed for each cohort, and a maximum of 96 subjects are projected to be accrued. The primary endpoint is the estimation of the proportion of patients in each cohort who have not progressed for at least 6 months (i.e., 6-month progression-free survival). Accrual is expected to complete within 12 months. Taxanes in Prostate Cancer Therapy Two standard taxanes are currently approved in the U.S. for advanced prostate cancer. Docetaxel (Taxotere ®; sanofi aventis, Inc.) is approved for first-line use in chemotherapy-naive patients with castrate-resistant disease, and cabazitaxel (Jevtana ®; sanofi aventis, Inc.) is approved for patients who have progressed on docetaxel. However, standard taxanes are associated with substantial side effects, especially in older patients. Unlike standard taxanes that must be administered intravenously, tesetaxel is a capsule that is taken by mouth. Compared with these drugs, clinical and preclinical data show that tesetaxel:
- Is active in diseases that are resistant to standard taxanes
- Is not associated with serious (occasionally fatal) hypersensitivity reactions
- Eliminates requirements for premedication (e.g., steroids, antihistamines, etc.)
- Reduces damage to peripheral nerves
- Offers flexible and convenient dosing for patients
- the Company's ability to obtain necessary regulatory approval for its product candidates from regulatory agencies, such as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the European Medicines Agency;
- the safety and efficacy of the Company's products or product candidates;
- the timing of the commencement and completion of any clinical trials ;
- the Company's assessment of its clinical trials;
- the Company's ability to develop, manufacture, license, or sell its products or product candidates;
- the Company's ability to enter into and successfully execute any license and collaborative agreements;
- the adequacy of the Company's capital resources and cash flow projections, or the Company's ability to obtain sufficient financing to maintain the Company's planned operations ;
- the adequacy of the Company's patents and proprietary rights;
- the impact of litigation that has been brought against the Company; and
- the other risks to the Company's Business as described in the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q.
CONTACT: Genta Investor Relations firstname.lastname@example.org 908-286-3980
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV