BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- Financial stocks have been on a tear, with a big contribution to performance coming from commercial real-estate services firms, which suffered during the recession as office space demand shrank but then strongly rebounded.
The group's shares averaged a gain of 29% last year after an 84% jump in 2009. This year, they're up 2.3%, on par with the rise in the S&P 500 Index. Analysts are beginning to question how far and long the run can continue.
Standard &Poor's, which has a "neutral" fundamental outlook on the real-estate services industry, says a few stocks could be a long-term play, with some firms benefitting from a continued industry consolidation.
"We still look for the rebound to be tepid compared to the boom years," S&P wrote of the commercial real estate industry's prospects on Feb. 5. "We think continuing tight credit and difficulty accessing capital will limit pricing for commercial, as well as residential, real estate."Commercial real estate firms buy and sell properties for clients as well as manage many of them after the sale. Here are four companies in the industry, most of which hold a dominant position, and a breakdown of performance and analysts' expectations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV