Top Investor Avoids Energy, Buys Microsoft
BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- Eric Schoenstein, whose Jensen Portfolio (JENSX) has more than doubled the returns of the S&P 500 Index over five and 10 years, is avoiding energy stocks such as Exxon Mobil (XOM) and Marathon Oil (MRO) and sticking to large-caps including Microsoft (MSFT), PepsiCo (PEP) and 3M (MMM).
Schoenstein and his fellow managers couldn't be more contrarian, as investors move into the riskiest assets, including little-known metals to small-cap tech firms to emerging-markets exchange traded funds. In the fourth quarter, energy was the best-performing sector in the S&P 500, and the Jensen Portfolio was held back as a result.
The Jensen Portfolio returned 9.3% in the three months through December, trailing the S&P 500's gain of 10.8%. Exxon and Marathon are up more than 30% over the past six months, outpacing the broader market. The turmoil in Egypt has pushed crude prices even higher, with no immediate resolution foreseen.
Still, the fund returned an annual average of 5.1% during the past five years, even though the recession torpedoed the stock market in 2008 and early 2009. The S&P 500 rose 2.1% in that time.So why did Schoenstein purposely pass over the energy space? "It's not so much that we purposely leave them out
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV