Mansky, who has a buy rating on the firm, expects that all of Cisco's product categories will see a seasonal revenue decline during the second quarter. The analyst believes that "new technology," which encompasses set-top boxes, will be worst hit, falling 14% sequentially, while switching could experience a more modest decline of 1.4%.
The tech bellwether's long-term prospects, though, are good. "We continue to view Cisco as participating in several of the more attractive growth markets -- both product and geographic -- available to today's technology sector," he said. "We continue to view Cisco as a high single-to low double-digit revenue growth company, with EBIT margins solidly remaining in the mid-20's."
As the dominant player in networking, Cisco is one of the major beneficiaries of the push to deliver services via the Internet, a trend known as cloud computing. The Silicon Valley firm is also expected to reap the benefits of the ongoing smartphone boom, which is causing an explosion in data traffic.
Cisco shares rose 3 cents, or 0.16%, to $22.02 Wednesday, despite a modest decline in tech stocks that saw the Nasdaq slip 0.25%.Look for our live blog from the Cisco earnings call starting at 3:45 p.m. ET. --Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV