'Safe' Strategies Can Be Their Own Risks
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Market volatility and a lingering hangover from the recession has left many investors uncertain what to do when it comes to long-term strategies such as retirement plans.
For many, the reaction is to run away from risk and into the seemingly safe confines of conservative investments -- bonds, cash and fixed-income strategies. The flight to "safety," however, can bring about some unintended threats to the long-term success of 401(k) or IRA portfolios.
|It's good to be safe in your investments, but don't be so safe that your approach becomes a threat itself to the long-term success of a 401(k) or IRA portfolio.|
What's in a name
For some investments, being branded as "conservative" or "low risk" is not much more than marketing, says Yuval Bar-Or, an adjunct professor of finance at Johns Hopkins University's Carey Business School and author of Play to Prosper: The Small Investor's Survival Guide (The Light Brigade, 2010).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV