The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage. The opinions expressed are those of the author and do not represent the views of TheStreet or its management.
NEW YORK (InvestorPlace) -- Financial stocks have been showing signs of life after a rather disappointing 2010. Take Bank of America (BAC) and Wells Fargo (WFC), both up +10% since the first of the year. That's almost double the broader market. This has caused many investors to view financials as some of the best stocks for 2011.
Related Article: Why Bank of America is Your Best Buy
Here are six top financial penny stocks for you to consider buying this week:
Village Bank & Trust Financial Corp. (VBFC)Bank holding company Village Bank & Trust Financial Corp. (VBFC) leads off the list of top financial penny stocks to buy. Over the past 12 months, this penny stock is up +32%, compared to gains of +30% and +21% for the NASDAQ and Dow Jones. This stock lost some ground towards the end of 2010, but in the three months has gained an impressive +52%. It should also be noted that in its last income statement, VBFC reported a remarkable quarterly revenue growth of +769%, year-over-year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV