2. Cummins (CMI) builds diesel and natural gas engines, engine components and electric power-generation systems.
Fourth-quarter adjusted earnings advanced 34% to $1.84, beating the consensus target by 7.4%. Its top-line figure, up 22%, exceeded expectations by 5.1%. Cummins is the fifth best-performing S&P 500 stock over the past year, having more than doubled during that span. Despite the outstanding performance, it remains fundamentally attractive. Its forward earnings multiple of 13 represents a 30% peer discount.
However, Cummins is expensive on the basis of cash flow, book value and sales per share. Goldman's latest missive, stressing an accelerated share buyback program as the stock's next catalyst, reiterated the bank's "conviction buy" ranking. In the fourth quarter, the float decreased 1% to 196 million shares, marginally boosting earnings per share. Goldman believes that Cummins, which currently receives nine "buy" calls and eight "hold" recommendations, can exceed incremental margin guidance. It will continue to profit from rapid emerging markets expansion.The bank cites exposure to accelerating U.S. truck and power generation markets as a catalyst. Goldman recently boosted its 2011 profit forecast to $7.59. It predicts 2012 earnings of $9.15 and 2013 earnings of $10.25. Higher penetration in China will be a major driver to growth. But, material inflation presents a significant headwind and Goldman expects 200 basis points of higher costs from input prices. Expense-cuts should help offset this obstacle in 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV