NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Want to buy a Verizon (VZ) iPhone, but you didn't pre-order and you don't want to stand in line at the Apple (AAPL) or Verizon store? Maybe you'd like to be efficient and make the trip to get the phone while picking up a few other things, like a loaf of bread. Think again.
The drama surrounding the arrival of the Verizon iPhone continued with trying to decipher which retail outlets would get to sell the device. Exclusive dealers soon found they weren't so exclusive; big-box stores that sell the AT&T (T) version of the iPhone were suddenly secretive as to whether they were stocking the new phone.
Some stores did not announce they would be selling the product until just a few days ago.
Unfortunately, many customers will need to make a trip to the store. Verizon had to shut down its pre-order efforts when it ran out of the allotted number. JP Morgan analyst Phil Cusick suggested the company sold 500,000 units and Verizon said it sold more iPhones in the first two hours that any other phone on any other launch day. To put that in perspective, Apple sold 600,000 units on the first day of pre-orders for the iPhone 4 last year.Not every store that carries the AT&T iPhone will be carrying the Verizon iPhone. Read on for the financial run-down on the stores that will definitely be selling the new version Thursday -- and those that might sell it in the near future.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV